Saturday, November 29, 2008

Black Friday!

My sister and I have spent the last couple of years starting a new tradition of "Black Friday shopping". When the kids were little, Michelle did this with our step-dad to get the "hottest items" for her kids - I was never patient enough for that nonsense. There isn't anything that I (or my kids) want that I would stand in line outside in the middle of the night in the freezing cold for hours to buy. HOWEVER - now that they are older and the things they want are usually electronic and much more expensive.... those Black Friday deals always look a little bit sweeter.

So here is what we did - first of all, she is so funny, she couldn't sleep! I went to bed at 9:30 and set my alarm for 3:30. I got a text from Shell around 1:30 that she was staying up all night - when I saw that around 3:00, I just got up and texted her back that I was ready when she was! LOL The stores opened at 4:00 a.m. (some of them). So Shell picked me up a little after 3:30 and we headed to Kohl's. We got some good bargains and waited in line for about 45 minutes - the lines are just hysterical, they go all the way to the back of the stores! LOL Then we headed out to Target, but they weren't opening until 6 and the line was wrapped around the store. So we hit Old Navy first, and then drove to a different Target. The thing I needed at Target was an XBOX 360 for my son, and the deal was that it came with a $60.00 Target gift card. So by the time we got there, it was about 6:15, and I had to go to the bathroom, which is right at the front door. Shell said "I'm going over to get the XBOX, meet me in electronics." By the time I got over there a whole 4 minutes later, she was yelling "JENN" and waving her arms at me. I was cracking up - apparently, she got the LAST XBOX360 that they had. Thank God for her - if she had come to the bathroom with me, I would have probably missed out! So that was my big accomplishment of the day. I got him a couple of games, a 3-month-live-card (that enables him to play online for 3 months) and a few other little things, and I am done with him.

After Target, we went and got a coffee and then we went to another mall. I did really good at Bath & Body Works, and got my grab gifts done (for work and my family) and Jeremy's sisters. I have one more paycheck before Christmas, and it's looking like I should be fine. It's so stressful trying to make sure you get everything done - and I do not shop on credit, so once I'm done - that's it, I'm done!

Anyway - we did save quite a bit of money, but it's more about the laughing and the fun we have. All of the people in line with us seemed to be in good spirits, which always helps. The last place we went to was Toys R Us, which was absolutely ridiculous. I didn't need anything there, but Shell did - and after her saving my life by grabbing that last XBOX, I had to stand by her while she waited for an hour and a half in line. Those were the longest lines I had ever seen in my entire life - not only to the back of the store, but then weaving in and out of every aisle. The poor people who were not yet in line could barely even shop. I had a feeling it would be more chaotic this year due to the economy, and I was right. But it was still an absolute blast. Once we finished (ran out of money), we went to our favorite diner for breakfast - of course, by then it was noon! LOL When I got home, I was basically useless. My feet and legs were killing me! I organized all of my Christmas stuff, fixed my "lists" and plopped on the couch for the remainder of the day. I was sleeping by 9:00 p.m.

Now - on a different note - I could kill my husband today. I snore. There, I said it. I snore, and I snore LOUDLY. I cannot help it - how the hell can someone NOT snore? Now, I know it's annoying for the person trying to sleep, and normally I actually feel bad for him. But last night, I was just too tired to feel bad for him. He slept until 8:30 a.m. yesterday - I was up at 3:00. So after he woke me up the third or fourth time by yelling at me for snoring, I was starting to get pissed. Then around 11:30 last night, I heard him get up and leave the room - two seconds later he's SCREAMING my name from downstairs! I jump up with my heart racing thinking the house is on fire or something! But no, he's just pissed off at Trevor because he (Trev) was downstairs pouring fruit punch into an old wine bottle. Yes, it was stupid and yes, he should have gotten in trouble... but - HELLO - did you really need to wake me up screaming over it? I guess what pisses me off the most is how many times in my 15+ years as a mother that I have woken up in the middle of the night to deal with all kinds of things (kids puking, headaches, wet beds when they were little, etc.) and I have NEVER woken him up, not ever. I just dealt with it and then went back to bed, if and when I could. So yeah, I was bullshit. I think today I'm going to try to buy some of that stuff that is supposed to help with snoring. Actually, HE can buy it. hee hee

I am going to finish my Christmas cards this weekend, I promise! And I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow, hopefully. Have a wonderful weekend, my friends! Peace.


  1. I was hoping you'd update and let us know how yesterday went! I am glad you got such great buys - my SIL did as well!! I still have 98% of my shopping to do! UGH!!

    If those snoring things work, let me know and they will go in David's stocking. I have lost millions of hours sleep because of HIS snoring! LOL

  2. Congrats on the very last Xbox! My family and I went out on Thanksgiving at 11pm to the outlet mall that opened at 11pm. They had such great deals that I got alot of shopping done there. We ended up being done around 3am, which is the time you were waking up! LOL. Glad you had a good time on Black Friday.