Monday, May 13, 2013

Day 13: A public apology

Day 13: A public apology.

I would like to apologize to my high school principal, Dr. Hynes.  I was a little shit in high school, always getting into trouble for silly things (not really a bad kid, just a little shit!) and I also had a reputation for fighting.  Which was funny, because fighting scared me to death.  But if anyone messed with my sister, who is exactly one year younger than me, my momma bear side came out and the fighting began.  My mom would bring me back to school after each episode, and Dr. Hynes would tell her what a good kid I was - which exasperated my mom since she was bringing me back for fighting.  At one point, he even told her "I wish she would just wait until after school to do those things."  hee hee

The thing is, I never really appreciated how good he was to me.  Technically, he could have made my life hell and probably kicked me out of school.  Instead of yelling and screaming at me when I did get in trouble, he'd bring me into his office and ask me riddles.  I still have the sheet of paper he gave me one day with 10 riddles on it - it stumped me for the longest time, but I finally figured them all out.  I still enjoy getting that piece of paper out and asking my own kids those riddles.

I have great memories of Dr. Hynes - and that just proves what an awesome principal, and person, he was.  Is.  I haven't seen him in over 20 years, but he left a lasting impression on this little shit.  He never gave up on me, he saw something in me that made him believe I'd be OK - that I'd be more than OK, that I'd be successful.  He never treated me like an annoying teenager, like so many teachers and others do when we ARE annoying teenagers... LOL

I'm sorry for not appreciating you as much as I should have back then, Dr. Hynes.  Thank you for being you.
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment