Sunday, April 19, 2009

My visitor

So I was sitting on the front porch this morning enjoying the sunshine and reading a magazine. Jeremy pulled up and I said to him, "Look at those trees, when the leaves grow in they are going to form a nice arch right over our drive-way, isn't that cool?" and I ran in to get my camera. I hear him say, "What's that on the branch??" as I was walking back out with my camera. It was a rather large bird... I think it was a young hawk. He was sitting up on the branch tearing something apart and eating it - probably a baby squirrel or chipmunk or something. See - he's got a white chest and brown back/feathers/head - I kept walking closer and closer until I was right underneath him, I got about 10 shots of him before he flew away. His wing span was impressive for what I think was not yet a full-grown hawk:


Now here are the trees that I was talking about - the hawk was sitting right on that thick branch that comes out of the tree on the left, sitting right over the driveway, up pretty high. I am starting to see buds on the trees and it's such a nice feeling. I am really looking forward to seeing green again!! This is right above my front door, the light does not work - all of those little things you see inside are bees' nests!!! I found a tiny bees' next on the walk-way and looked up and saw this!

I love this time of year, I bought a bunch of fruit yesterday and made a yummy fruit salad. I love eating fresh fruit with yogurt, especially for breakfast. I bought a giant bag of frozen blueberries and made home-made blueberry bread this morning, doesn't this look delicious?

I found a recipe on allrecipes.com and I just doctored it up a bit to my liking, I do that quite often. I like to play with recipes and ingredients to come up with new stuff for my family to try. Jeremy, my husband, is the hardest person to get to try new things. If he could, he'd eat the same things every night for the rest of his life: steak, rice pilaf, and canned corn or fried chicken with a baked potato and sour cream. LOL We had a bunch of ham left over from our Easter dinner, so I decided to make something different last night. I took some chicken breasts and cut them in half - then pounded them flat, dredged them in flour/salt/pepper and browned them up quickly in a frying pan. I pre-heated the oven to about 400. Put the browned chicken in the bottom of a casserole dish. Put slices of ham on top of the chicken and sprinkled shredded mozzarella cheese on top of that. Mixed a can of cream of chicken soup with maybe 1/4 cup of sour cream and a dash of milk. Poured it over the whole thing and baked it for about 1/2 hour. When Jeremy saw what I was doing, he said "Looks.... weird.... but I'm sure it will be fine..." but I could tell by his face that he really wasn't so sure. LOL Let's just say that Jeremy ended up having seconds, that's how delish it came out!!! :o)

Off to enjoy the rest of this beautiful day! Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment