Thursday, April 22, 2010

Alcatraz & San Francisco

One of the things I really wanted to do while in northern California was to visit Alcatraz, something I've always wanted to see! We planned our trip for Sunday morning, the early bird tour at 9:00 a.m. Which meant we actually had to set our alarm clocks and leave the house by 7:00, as we had to find parking and pick up our tickets 1/2 hour early.

We had a great day - this is a picture of the city from the ferry:

Trev, he loves his Transitions (c) lenses:

Alcatraz - the island:

Pulling up to the island in the ferry:

The cells are 5 feet wide by 9 feet long by 7 feet high:
This was the prison library:

Trev and Jeremy behind bars:

Cass (and by the way, today is Cassidy's 15th birthday! I cannot believe my "baby" is 15 - *sigh*):

One of the cells from the 1962 "Great Escape" - when Frank Lee Morris and brothers John & Clarence Anglin used spoons to dig out of their cells through the vents and fashioned fake human heads with hair out of soap, cement, and toilet paper in order to fool the guards into thinking they were still in their beds. These 3 men were among the 5 escapees from Alcatraz who were never captured or found, dead or alive:

One of the ruined buildings:

Cass, me, and Trev:

Oh my gosh - this is Lombard Street. Holy cow. Jeremy always told me about the "crooked street" - man, he wasn't kidding. You cannot go up the crooked part, you can only go down it. It is a zig-zag and goes STRAIGHT down. See this car, you can only see the top of it below, and it's sideways? Yeah, you go down the entire way like that, zig-zag:

This picture is from Google Images and shows the street better, but doesn't really give you the feel for how STEEP it is:
Standing at the top of one of the steepest streets:

Trolley:
OK I'm off to stamp and make some challenge cards and stuff, I'm soooo itching to get back to my routine. LOL Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful pictures Jenn! And so different from when we went in the fall when there was little green. Everything was golden and brown. I think I need to go back in the spring!!

    ReplyDelete