Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year's Eve!

Happy New Year's Eve! Some of you probably have big plans for tonight, others will celebrate quietly. Whatever you do, I hope you spend it with your loved ones and have a blast. Cassidy is spending the night with her BFF at her house, and even Trevor is over a friend's house right now. I expect to spend the night with Jeremy watching TV and drinking some wine and maybe splurging and ordering yummy boneless chicken wings from Wings Over Worcester.... mmmmmmm..... I have had a headache for 2 days, so I'm really not in the partying mood right now. Besides, New Year's Eve makes me nervous. Too many crazy drunks out there - I heard someone call it "amateur night" and that made me laugh but cringe at the same time. I will stay home where I'm safe, thank you very much!

So - funny story to tell you. I went to visit my cousin Angela and her little kids yesterday to bring them their Christmas gifts. When I opened my gift from Angela, I just burst out laughing - I said "Quick, open yours!" She did - and died laughing, too. We got each other EXACTLY the same Christmas ornament! LOL We got a kick out of it - here it is, isn't she beautiful?



So I have had a chance to do some thinking the past few days, what with having this wretched headache and all (can't do much else). It was exactly a year ago that we finally had a name for Trevor's problems - Asperger's. It was exactly a year ago that we started counseling with our therapist. At that time, I was so worried about Trevor that I cried every single day. I can hardly believe it now, but I worried that he would commit suicide - or at least attempt it. School was absolute torture and I felt hopeless and helpless. We have come a long way since then, let me tell you. Trevor has grown dramatically in the past year and is now about 5' 8" - almost a full half-foot taller than me! He is built solid, too, and is just a big kid. Kids don't tend to pick on kids who are much bigger than them, bullies usually go after the smaller, weaker kids. Trevor is not that kid anymore! We finally have him in a school where he feels accepted by his peers and he has friends who call him several times a day. When Jeremy starts to get irritated, I have to remind him how awesome it is that the phone is ringing at all!!! Trevor was barely passing school with C's and D's back then - he now has all A's, B's, and the occasional C. Most importantly, though, he has teachers who have patience and who UNDERSTAND Asperger's and the behaviors of these kids - and they don't PUNISH them for being who they are. They work with them. They have clinicians on hand readily available for when the kids need them. It's just been so wonderful - it's really made a huge positive impact on all of our lives, and I sm so thankful for it. Although things aren't perfect and we have a long way to go, we've come an awful long way and I am extremely proud of that. I'm extremely proud of Trev - for not giving up, for believing us when we told him to try ONE MORE TIME, for not letting the jerks turn HIM into a jerk. He's a good kid, my boy. Just look at him:
So that's what I'm most thankful for this year. And I can only look forward and hope for another year full of even more happiness and success for Trevor and for all of my family and friends. Happy 2009, everyone! Peace!

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry about your head. ( know a few other gals with bad headaches so I wonder if it is the atmosphere? I hope you feel better soon!

    Having a MOM who never gave up is a big reason why Trevor is where he is - he had a great example!!

    I am so glad you are in your new home and things are falling into place. Now it's Cassidy's turn to give you a run for your money I am afraid. You will love her one minute and be ready to choke her the next and she will feel the same about you! LOL All very normal!

    Wishing all o fyou good things in 09!!

    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete