Sunday, November 23, 2008

Christmas Spirit!


I gotta tell you, I usually get annoyed when I start seeing Christmas items in stores before Halloween. Well, OK - I still do. But normally, I don't even want to THINK about Christmas until after Thanksgiving. There's a local radio station here that recently started playing all Christmas music, my husband listens to this station. One day when I was with him, I was about to complain when I realized that I was starting to get into the Christmas spirit. I mean, I think what's always annoyed me is the financial aspect of Christmas - or the lack of my own personal finances! It's hard to be jolly when you are worried about buying gifts and wondering which bill you can skip on this month in order to make sure your kids have a great Christmas. This year, though, I started my shopping early. And when I heard those songs in Jeremy's car, I realized that I really am looking forward to the holidays this year.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not even CLOSE to being done with my Christmas shopping. But I've started, and I have a good idea of what I need to do to finish. My sister and I started going shopping on Black Friday a couple of years ago, and it's becoming a tradition that I absolutely love. It's not just the good deals and the huge sales - it's the excitement and the laughing our asses off sitting in a parking lot with Dunkin Donuts coffees at 4:55 a.m. waiting for a store to open, wondering if we'll even get what we came for. We don't stress over it - we just have a blast. But I do get a lot done on this day, and then I still have another paycheck and almost a whole month to finish. You know what's funny? I feel like Christmas is just around the corner, and Cassidy said to me yesterday that she feels like it's months away! LOL I guess it depends on which end you're on - when your biggest concern is whether you'll get the iPod Touch that you so desperately covet, Christmas seems ages away!

I guess I just feel like things are falling into place - and with the new house we're moving into right before Christmas and the new year starting, I feel very thankful for my life. Even when I'm having a bad day, I know I'm a lucky girl. I count my blessings on a regular basis to remind myself of how lucky I really am.

So I hope you all take some time to enjoy the anticipation of the holidays, the sights and sounds, the smells, the excitement. Donate to a local charitable organization or volunteer your time with one - check with your local United Way or Salvation Army for ideas. It will make you feel good about yourself and get you into the holiday spirit.

2 comments:

  1. LOL we have the house all decorated INSIDE and DH is playing Carols on his computer and humming along. I just love Christmas - even when we didn't have much I found ways to make it special with the kids and we always found a way to help someone less fortunate than us. I only hope they continue now that they are adults. No matter what, someone needs more than we do.

    Enjoy your Thanksgving and be quiet if you drive by my house on Friday morning. NO way I am I getting up that early after cooking all day! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving into a new house??? When did this happen??? you better email me girl and tell me.. I am into the spirit in some ways... going shopping with DD today but really hating the fact this will be the first year our whole family will not be together and thats a tough one! make sure you give me your new addy and date when you will be in your house.

    ReplyDelete